There are four basic types of healthy skin: normal, dry, oily and combination skin.
- Normal skin is used to refer to well-balanced skin. Neither too oily nor too dry.
- Dry skin is used to describe a skin type that produces less sebum than normal skin. Dry skin can feel tight, rough and look dull.
- Oily skin is used to describe a skin type with heightened sebum production. Oily skin has a glossy shine and visible pores.
- Combination skin consists of a mix of skin types between the T-zone (forehead, nose and chin) and the cheeks.
Simple skincare steps for acne-prone skin
The amount of sebum produced by the sebaceous glands in skin controls the efficacy of the skin’s barrier function and, as a result, the condition of skin. The overproduction of sebum can lead to oily, acne-prone skin, while low sebum production causes dry skin.
The routine involves three basic steps:
- Cleanse (with Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Soap)
- Tone (with Witch Hazel or Apple Cider Vinegar natural toner)
- Moisturize (with your preferred moisturizer)
Essentially you are trying to make sure that you are removing the excess sebum (as well as any makeup) that could be causing your pores to get blocked up. At the same time, with toning and moisturizing you are trying to make sure that your pores are closed.
Why Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap? Warm, comforting and slightly sweet, Dr Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap is concentrated, biodegradable, versatile and effective. Made with organic and certified fair trade ingredients and packaged in a 100% post-consumer recycled bottle.
Cleanser Castile soap is made from safe, simple plant oils; it is considered safe for even the most sensitive skin types and can help oily, acne-prone skin. The essential oils found in castile soap penetrate pores with their antibacterial agents, helping clean your skin without drying it out.
Brush cleaner Clean your makeup brushes using castile soap. Add a squirt of concentrated soap to a bowl and top up with warm water. Add brushes and let soak for a few minutes until softened, then rub gently. Rinse until water runs clear.